Review: YSL Mascara Vinyl Couture

YSL Mascara Vinyl Couture in I'm The Trouble

It looks like colored mascara is making a comeback into the beauty community and YSL is among one of the brands to come out with a whole line of them! We're not talking only your darker shades like deep plums and forest greens (they have these too), but fuschia, gold and purple among others.
Influenster sent me the blue shade (I'm
The Trouble) complimentary so that I can test it out, and as a first impression, the color payoff is beautiful!

There are a total of nine shades in the collection, with eight of them being colored and one of them a black mascara. They retail for $29 on Sephora.
Within the collection of nine mascaras, YSL also has two top coats that you can layer over the mascara you already have on, which is a fun take on doing something a little different with the lashes.

I wore this mascara from morning to evening for two days to really put it to the test and I'll break down the rating into three main parts: color payoff, longevity (flakiness, smudging, etc.) and how well it lengthens/volumizes.

Color Payoff 5/5
The shade I'm The Trouble has outstanding color payoff! It's not too "out there" and is a great way to subtly add some color to your makeup look. The color comes off as a rich, cobalt blue and really accentuates your eye color as well.

Longevity 4/5
Lasting power is pretty good for the most part, but I had a little flaking by the ending of the day. I put this on my bottom lashes too and there was absolutely no smudging which is great if you want wear this during the hot summer months. The only other small complaint I have is that whenever I take this mascara off, my under eyes become stained blue and I have a hard time removing the residual color, but  I found that using warm water and facial cleanser on a towel and gently rubbing it off works pretty well.

Lengthening/Volumizing 3.5/5
This mascara seems to do a better job of lengthening my lashes for me. I was expecting it to be a little more volumizing, but it fell a little short in that department. If you prefer longer lashes, then this is a good option for you. I would also recommend curling your lashes before applying this because by itself, this mascara doesn't really do much to curl your lashes. I do really like the amount of length it gives me though, so I'll definitely still be using it.

Last thoughts: The smell is a little odd to me. It has that typical mascara scent but stronger and I can still smell it even after I've applied it, so if you're sensitive to those types of smells, you might want to keep that in mind.
In terms of the packaging, it's SO beautiful! You can tell that you have a luxury makeup product in your hand because it feels so high quality!                                                                                             

Final verdict: if this is something within your budget and you want to try to do something different to your eyes, I would definitely recommend this! However, if this is something that's out of your budget, there are a ton more colorful mascaras that have the pigmentation that this one has.
If you're going to be wearing this for a long period of time, I would suggest taking a small brush with you to wipe off any flakes that might fall down your cheek over the course of the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment