Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation | Review


I have a strong affinity toward anything full-coverage. Foundations, concealers, fully covered strawberries in chocolate - you get the idea. When Urban Decay announced that they would be launching a new full coverage foundation that claims to last all night, I knew I would need to get my hands on it. I love its lighter coverage cousin, the Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition foundation, so I figured that this foundation would be twice as promising to try.

I tested this foundation out every day for one full week and paid attention to three of the most common criteria when it comes to finding a good foundation: coverage, application, longevity, and shade range. Out of that week, I wore the foundation for about 12 hours (9 AM to 9 PM) to check its lasting power.

As a note, when I review skin-based products, I will also recommend which skin type and primers would best suit this foundation. For reference, I have acne prone, combination skin with oiliness in my T-zone and dryness around the outer portion of my face. I hope this review is helpful to those looking to try this foundation!

Coverage: 5/5
The coverage of this foundation is phenomenal. I have used several foundations in the past that were marketed as full coverage but ended up being more medium coverage. All of my stubborn blemishes and marks from previous acne have been completely covered. I also didn't need to any additional concealing on my cheeks or under my eyes because this foundation pretty much did the trick. One pump is plenty for the entire face and I recommend applying the foundation with a beauty blender or makeup sponge to give it a more airbrushed finish. 

Many have been comparing this foundation to the likes of Kat Von D's Lock It foundation and I would agree with this comparison. Urban Decay markets this foundation to have three times as much pigment in the formula as compared to their Naked Skin foundation which is definitely evident upon application.

Application: 3/5
For the most part, applying this foundation is pretty solid. For me personally, it gives the same amount of coverage if I were to apply it with a beauty blender or with a brush. The only difference is that the sponge happens to make the finish appear more flawless and more skin-like than with a brush, so if you don't own a beauty sponge, you definitely don't have to go out and get one just for using this foundation.

To those with textured skin and larger pores, you might find that this foundation might not apply as smoothly and point out some of your pores. In this case, I would recommend a multi-purpose primer that also smooths and fills in your pores. This foundation doesn't set too quickly, so you have a little more flexibility and control when putting on your base. I noticed that this foundation can sometimes apply slightly patchy at first, so make sure you have a close-up mirror to see any parts that might have been applied patchy and make sure to blend out your foundation well. Since this foundation applies quite matte, I first make sure to moisturize my face and wait about ten minutes before I put on my primer. I also put on a more hydrating primer afterwards so that the foundation doesn't adhere to any of my dry patches.

Longevity:  4/5 
During one of the days I've been testing this foundation out, I went to Disneyland in the blazing heat. I was wearing this foundation from 9AM all the way to 9PM. It didn't settle into any of my expression lines, which no foundation has been able to do for me yet. There was definitely some fading next to my nostrils.

My only complaint is that after a few hours, my face got a bit shiny, but touching it up with some pressed powder took care of that with no issues. However that being said, I think if a foundation claims to last "all night," it shouldn't really be making my face look shiny after four hours.


Shade range: 3/5 
The shade range isn't bad per se, but the 0 and .5 shades don't really allow for a more neutral color option. Sephora only seems to have .25 (neutral) in four other color areas (light, medium-dark, dark, and dark beige), so if you fall into a shade range other than the ones I mentioned above then you would have to settle for either a warm or cool tone undertone.

I personally have the color 2.0 and it's a good match, but this foundation definitely oxidizes. I would say it applies a full shade lighter than it turns out to be. That being said, if you already own a foundation from the Naked Skin line, I would advise purchasing the same color in this line because the All Nighter foundation ends up oxidizing to the same shade.

This foundation best suits: Oily skin (with mattifying primer) and combination skin (with hydrating primer).

Those with oily skin and enlarged pores should use a multi-purpose primer like the Smashbox Photofinish Foundation Primer.

(*This foundation was purchased by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment