College Series Part 1 | Academic Success



















Hey everyone, I decided to start a college series for those of you who might be starting university soon or if you're a continuing student. As a disclaimer, I am not an expert in academic success- I'm just sharing some tips that have helped me in the past.

1. Start EARLY
I cannot stress this enough. Deadlines, projects, homework, studying, sorority/frat responsibilities, etc. all pile up at some point or another. I know this might sound like common knowledge, but so many people fail to start on a project or responsibility, which dramatically reduces the quality of the work they're putting forth.

2. Assess your responsibilities 
Observe your performance with your current responsibilities; are you severely struggling to make deadlines? Have all-nighters most nights? Feel emotionally and/or mentally burnt out? Consider reducing your course load or dropping that extracurricular. These responsibilities hold you accountable for the effort/work you're producing and if you feel that you can't keep up, there is nothing wrong with that. I've known so many people who I've noticed seem burnt out because they're juggling multiple jobs, internships, a heavy course load, etc. Not everyone can handle the same number of responsibilities. Try to make the best of it without drowning yourself with responsibilities that are taking a toll on you and your health.

3. Take legible and clear notes
This probably sounds silly, but I can't tell you the number of times I have mentally kicked myself for lazing out and producing chicken scratch for my notes when studying. When I'm being vague in my notes, I often find myself looking back at the textbook or googling it anyway, which ends up wasting valuable study time. So in short, being clear and neat in lecture can be a massive time-saver when you're preparing for exams.

4. Adjust your studying to each professor's style
This is one of the tougher things I've had to do in college. Unfortunately, not all professors grade the same and not all of them are fair about it either. I've had professors in the past who have refused to respond to my emails about clarification for an assignment. It's frustrating and makes you wonder why they actually provide their students with their school email in the first place. My point is, that if you have a professor who tends to spend a majority of their time on notes in lecture, then focus mainly on the lecture notes and draw on the textbook (if available) for only reinforcement. If you have a professor who isn't receptive to your questions, make it a point to visit them in office hours. It's really crucial to be perceptive to the professor's style so that you can expect the pattern of your exams and assignments.

5. Become acquainted with your classmates
You never know what resources your classmates have access to that may help you improve your class performance. If you know absolutely nothing about the class you're taking, it is especially helpful to begin to talking your classmates because they might know others who have taken the class previously. This might mean they have access to past exams, homework solutions, and even just knowledge of the general layout of the exams. If you're shy, one thing to keep in mind is that you have nothing to lose by just striking up a conversation about the class. Chances are, you are not alone.

I hope this was helpful to anyone searching for some guidance for how to try improve your academic performance. If you're severely struggling, it might be beneficial to visit your college's counselors or academic advisers for more specialized advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment