Marc Jacobs About Last Night Style Eye Con Eyeshadow Palette: Swatches & Review

This palette won my heart in a matter of a few days because there are so many great components to this palette that many others do not have. This limited-edition holiday palette by Marc Jacobs Beauty has quickly become one of my favorite eyeshadow palettes of 2016 for so many reasons, which I'll elaborate on. For those wondering if it's worth the price tag, the answer is yes! Why? Because this palette includes 20 eyeshadows (that are very good quality), making the worth of each shadow only $5 apiece.

1. Longevity - 5/5
The lasting power of these shadows is actually a bit surprising. Since they're quite creamy, I was expecting the eyeshadow on my oily lids to fade but they lasted very well throughout my wear time. I tried one eye with primer and one without, and my lids looked almost identical to one another by the end of the night. Both eyelids looked just as vibrant and opaque with color as they did when I first applied the eyeshadow. One thing I would like to point out, however, is that the darker shadows may transfer to your brow area if you don't use primer before. By the end of the night, I noticed that a bit of my transition shades transferred closer to my brow bone. I easily touched it up, but it's just a point to consider. Personally, I think it's better to be safe than sorry and use primer to prevent any unwanted transferring.


2. Pigmentation - 5/5
The pigmentation is tough to beat. I feel like my arm swatches do not do it justice because the shadows look bold on the eyelid. The first time I swatched this palette, I was shocked at how opaque the colors looked. Brush swatches were a bit less rich in color, but still incredibly impressive. One dip of my brush was enough to coat my entire lid with consistent color. You can definitely choose to apply these shadows wet if you'd prefer, but I found that it really wasn't necessary to wet my brush to get good color payoff. There was no patchiness, skipping or fading of any sort. However, some of the darker colors I experimented with had a little bit of fallout, but nothing major.

Something else to take into account is that because the colors are so pigmented, you might want to dip into the palette rather than swipe. I tapped my blending brush once into one of the matte darker shades to use for the outer corner of my eye for a smoky look, and that one tap had enough product to create the look I desired. This is a palette where it would be good to start with a little bit of shadow then gradually increase how much you use.

3. Consistency - 5/5
Every single shadow in the palette is very creamy and upon touching them, they almost feel like cream eyeshadows in the pan. When I swatched these, they looked and felt velvety smooth on my arm. For most shades, there was no or minimal crumbling/chalkiness to them except for the fourth shade from the right in the bottom swatch photo. The texture of these shadows is what really allows them to be so blendable on the lid. The shadows are very easy to work with and you don't have to spend a long time blending out any harsh lines or edges.

Other thoughts:
Color Selection: I've heard some mixed reviews on the color selection in this palette, but I think Marc Beauty has done a great job of including a variety of different colors to cater to many different preferences, tastes, and skin tones. There could have been less of the light, nude matte shades since there are 4 shades that look pretty similar to one another, but otherwise the color range is good.

Packaging: The case is sleek and snaps shut so your eyeshadows won't be prone to drying out and aren't as likely to be damaged. The thin compact makes it really easy to travel with this palette! It's durable and quite beautiful at the same time, with a shiny golden finish.

Price point: It seems daunting at first, but with each shadow setting you back $5, you're getting a great deal for a luxury palette. If you already own palettes with many bronze, purple, and gold tones, then you can skip out on this one to save some money. But if you're a makeup enthusiast and want to splurge on a great eyeshadow palette, this is definitely worth the price!

This palette is currently available in free-standing Sephora stores and on their website for $99 USD.




No comments:

Post a Comment