Back to School | Top Makeup Essentials


*Please excuse the lighting, the sun was misbehaving :P



Summer is flying by so quickly this year, which unfortunately means we're now getting ready to go back to school. To make the transition a little less daunting, I thought I'd share some of my favorite school makeup essentials I keep in my makeup bag for college and offer some more affordable alternatives that have similar quality.






1. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in "Dazzled" ($28)
For days when I have classes from 9 AM to 5 PM, I like to use a heavy duty powder blush that will last on my combination skin. Tarte's blush line definitely lives up to its name and stays on the entire time I'm on campus. A more affordable alternative is the Body Shop's All-In-One Blusher. It has the same lasting power and costs $16. I also recommend blushes from Milani's line for an even cheaper alternative.

2. bareMinerals Mineral Veil Translucent Powder ($21)
Powder is a staple in any makeup collection, especially for school. I like using a transparent powder to set my makeup rather than a powder with some coverage, but of course that's totally up to to you. It also doesn't need to be a loose powder but I use this when I'm getting ready and my makeup is good for the day. It's a great dupe for the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose powder.

3. Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara (Full size $23)
 Mascara is my go-to eye product for the school day that will make the most difference to the appearance of my eyes. If you're in a pinch in the mornings, it's super convenient to put some mascara on and you'll look put together in no time. There are so many good drugstore mascaras out there, and the one you use for school does not need to be from pricier ranges. My favorite drugstore mascara is the L'oreal Telescopic Mascara in Carbon Black (the black packaging) which only costs $9.99. 

4. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation ($39)
For days when your skin isn't at its best, you'd definitely need some foundation or tinted moisturizer to neutralize discoloration or hide acne and blemishes. For me personally, I have very acne prone skin with acne marks leftover from previous breakouts, so a full coverage foundation is a must for me. Tarte's foundation is good because it's oil-free and it lasts forever since it has 0.7 oz more than an average foundation. You definitely only need a small amount to hide the blemishes so the longevity of the foundation is pretty good. 

5. Naked2 Basics Eyeshadow Palette ($29)
Any small, matte eyeshadow palette would be great for wearing to school. This one has a good selection of neutral shades and are extremely pigmented. Again, the one you use for school does not have be a pricier palette. This one happens to be my only matte palette I own, so I use it for many occasions, not just school.

6. Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips ($12.99)
This is a phenomenal dupe for the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks and can be used as bronzer, blush, highlighter, and eyeshadow. The colors have rich pigmentation for a drugstore product, and it has so much versatility. I save so much space in my makeup bag because I use this product as highlight, eyeshadow and bronzer. They have a few other color ranges to choose from, but I don't think this particular one (Miami Strip) is available anymore. The most similar shade to it is Riviera Strip.

7.  Revlon Color Stay Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain ($9.49)
Mine has seen days of wear and tear because I like it so much! It's super comfortable on the lips and the color in Honey makes for a really natural berry shade. It lasts nicely and doesn't wear off patchy, so it's a win for me in my makeup bag I take to college.

If you want reviews/swatches on any of these products, comment on this post indicating which product(s).
Hope this post was helpful! Let me know which products you take/use for school!

No comments:

Post a Comment